Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

News Ticker
  • 17-APRIL-2019 NEWS
  • -------- VOTING Has started in the Parlement. Please have your say and vote !! <-------
Lord Grep

Political debate on AVEN.

I want to put forward a suggestion for all those involved in the resurgence of political debate on AVEN.

DON'T use the like button If you agree with a point someone makes, then just quote them, and say what it is you agree with and why.

"But why Grep".

For the longest time I have had to deal with what feels like bullying on the site, where all those on the side of the far left would just like anything that disagreed with you. It felt like it was done to prove a point, and not just that someone made a good point. 

I just don't think it's a fair way to conduct ones self. At the end of the day I assume that people want to continue a discussion, and to make valid points. I just don't think it's something that is helpful, and I really don't want other people to feel bullied. I genuinely believe that people are entitled to their opinions, and the last thing we want them to do is feel bullied, or feel that what is being said is personal.

Of cause I can't force others to see things the way I do, and I wouldn't want to. I just feel that if we respect other people then there is at least more of a chance that we can get a message across if we don't treat people like jerks. I hate the way the like bullying feels, and I just don't think it is necessary.

Go ahead and like this though. I need some validation now and then.

Not on aven... But the like button can be a form of virtue signalling. Particularly if the comment is one sided and doesn't facilitate in discussion. Someone says something to incite emotion and people jump on "liking" it.... Not cool.

The left cannot and will not debate, it has nothing of substance to hold up it's point of view. It wilts in the face of anyone who disagrees with it who stands up to it. So instead the left deliberatly shuts opposition down to avoid the ideological debate to avoid losing.

Most of the "phobes" clarifications are not to protect those groups but more often are used by those same groups to shut others down who disagree with them......on anything

There's a few topics I'd post in if I thought a reasonable debate would happen. I learned my lesson about that in '16 & '17 though. For example there's one member who has in his sig that they'll flat out block you if you support the American President. Why bother with that kind of attitude?

It would be easy to assume I'm angry in an exchange but that would be a mistake. I'm usually laughing my ass off at what passes for discussion and arguments.

The first Democrat Debate was pretty funny to watch. I don't know how they're going to win on a platform of "The Sky is Falling" when so many Americans can see that it isn't.

I'd also point out how insisting on calling the detention centers "concentration camps" and then saying calling them anything else is semantics is an attempt to shut down debate and semantics in itself.