Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

News Ticker
  • 29-OCTOBER-2019 NEWS
  • -------- Lets see how long it takes for me to change the news for something new <-------
Gloomy

Where do people get this idea that humans were better in the past?

Whenever some mass shooting happens, including the one that happened yesterday in El Paso, people come out of the woodwork commenting on the news articles that "We're living in the end times" or "People are more violent than ever" or "Something is wrong with millennials"(even though a baby boomer was responsible for the Las Vegas shooting which was the deadliest shooting).

So naive. Anyone who knows anything about human history and human nature should be able to conclude that humans always have been a violent species, and probably always will be until they go extinct. Thousands of people packed colosseums to watch people fight to the death, people were literally burned to death after their own neighbors accused them of witchcraft, slavery was par for the course, torture and inhumane execution methods were rampant, yet somehow right now is the "end times". Of course none of those things have actually stopped. Going to colosseums to watch people die has turned into backing up traffic to look at an accident or looking at gore sites on the internet, slavery is still a thing even if it is technically illegal in most places, torture definitely still happens and is sometimes endorsed by the governments of so-called civilized countries. Perhaps mass shootings are on the rise, but violence in general certainly is not.

I don't even have to read a history book to see that bad behavior in humans is nothing new, my own fucked up family has plenty of examples. Besides my slave owning ancestors, my great grandmother also said one of her cousins would kill kittens when they were kids. This was around the 1930's, when people supposedly had "family values" and "kids were more well-behaved". Then he grew up to be a convicted child rapist. My mom was already smoking weed and ditching school with her boyfriend when she was 12 in 1982, yet people act like my generation were the first ones to do these things. Personally I never even ditched school until I was in college and it was no longer illegal for me to do so, and I didn't smoke for the first time until I was 21 either. My millennial ass was actually better behaved as a teenager than my generation X mom was, go figure.

I'm sorry for the double post, but as usual, this site does not allow me to edit my posts beyond a certain point.

I completely agree with what Gloomy said. Between 1861 and 1865, the U.S. was fragmented and fought a war against well...itself and one of the reasons for the conflict was the issue of slavery. Upwards of 1 million people died in the U.S. civil war and injuries were often grotesque. However, as my college history professor said: "Slavery was not the be-all, end-all reason for the civil war."

The UK response to slavery was to refund the slave owner for loss of property at a cost of £4 per slave. Regardless of who the slave owner was.

In a recent edition of "Who do you think you are" a black athlete from the UK found out that his ancestors werer sold as slaves in Jamaica, but was shocked to find that the children of those slaves were paid £8 for the loss of their slaves ! Slaves becoming slave owners !

The UK government put itself in so much debt to refund the slave owners that it took till 2015 to pay it off.

Was this way better than outright war against the slave owners ?

Interestingly, the 1807 act was for the Abolishment of the Slave Trade, not ownership of slaves. The Royal Navy spent more than 30 years scouring the Oceans hunting down Slave Ships in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans and lost more lives to deseases than all the wars prior to it. It took till the Equality Act of 2003 to make the owning of slaves in the UK to be illegal !

I think it's just a general break down of society, I'll use one real example.

I was born in 63 and as a youngster if you got in trouble with the police, even a telling off, when the front door closed, your parents would probably punish you in some way too for daring to bring the police to their door.

Now, the parents are more likely to be fighting the police and if police come to their door, they suddenly turn all internet lawyer

In the old days if a cop was being beaten whilst trying to protect others, others would help the police to make sure their own community stayed safe. Now a cop gets a beating and it has a mob standing around cheering and videoing it for you tube likes.

You get the society you create, we had freedoms with consequences, today so many feel everything is their "human right" that they don't feel there should be consequences

22 minutes ago, PiF said:

I think it's just a general break down of society, I'll use one real example.

I was born in 63 and as a youngster if you got in trouble with the police, even a telling off, when the front door closed, your parents would probably punish you in some way too for daring to bring the police to their door.

Now, the parents are more likely to be fighting the police and if police come to their door, they suddenly turn all internet lawyer

In the old days if a cop was being beaten whilst trying to protect others, others would help the police to make sure their own community stayed safe. Now a cop gets a beating and it has a mob standing around cheering and videoing it for you tube likes.

You get the society you create, we had freedoms with consequences, today so many feel everything is their "human right" that they don't feel there should be consequences

On 8/4/2019 at 8:53 AM, Gloomy said:

Thousands of people packed colosseums to watch people fight to the death, people were literally burned to death after their own neighbors accused them of witchcraft, slavery was par for the course, torture and inhumane execution methods were rampant

On 8/4/2019 at 8:53 AM, Gloomy said:

Besides my slave owning ancestors, my great grandmother also said one of her cousins would kill kittens when they were kids. This was around the 1930's, when people supposedly had "family values" and "kids were more well-behaved". Then he grew up to be a convicted child rapist.

Agree, and it was my generation born in the 60's that put a stop to that saying we are not separate but are the same. We ended aparthied and said no more

now people can't handle being a person and need hundreds of labels to divide us all again, hardly an advancement

The Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964, so it wasn’t people born in the 60’s who put a stop to it since some of them weren’t even born yet.

Overall I don’t think humans have advanced very much though, it’s just the same shit different toilet throughout history, and will probably be like that until we kill ourselves in a nuclear holocaust.

Progressives look to the past (and never forget to bring past bad things up as if they still exist). But progress is achieved by getting rid of the bad and going ahead with the good. Those that live in the past stay in the past, the rest of humanity proceed forward, making sure the past mistakes are not repeated.

Intersectional politics are segregationist/apartheid/racist/sexist/homophobic and all the ists and isms. Taken to its extreme it results in everyone segregated from everyone else on and individual level.

Remember when Berkeley POC students were calling for segregated accommodation from white, this was when they blocked the entrance to the University to White and Asian students approx. 2 years ago ? 60 years of Civil Rights down the pan.

Interesectional Politics are regressive, not progressive.

All periods have their ups and downs. I, as someone who loves the past, am actually used to the opposite: people telling me how awful things back then were, and that everyone was some sort of illiterate prejudiced a-hole in other eras. Totally wrong.

I wouldn't say that people have advanced, just changed. For all I know, we may be the villains of tomorrow, even though we don't think we're doing anything wrong.

What makes people believe that we have changed for the worse is that we can see stupidity everywhere now, it's on TV and in magazines. People like to look at it so they can feel smarter themselves. This is the reason why we're more aware of our shortcomings today. I think, if anything, we are not worse or more cruel than we have ever been, but sadder instead. So many people are depressed and suicidal these days because we have built a world that is in many ways too polluted and shallow, too complicated, too hard to endure for ourselves.

The internet/media has definitely made it easier to see the bad things people do these days. When my mom was a juvenile delinquent in the 80’s it wasn’t on social media for the world to see and judge. When a shooting happened back in he day it wasn’t on all the 24 hour news channels.